Home>Automation>Automated handling>Huge conveying roll-out on Teeside
Home>Industry Sector>Retail/E-tail>Huge conveying roll-out on Teeside
ARTICLE

Huge conveying roll-out on Teeside

26 February 2013

CI Logistics has designed, manufactured and installed a garment handling and storage system with the capacity to store up to four million units at Clippers new deconsolidation centre at Wynyard Park near Teesport.

CI Logistics has designed, manufactured and installed a garment handling and storage system with the capacity to store up to four million units at Clipper's new deconsolidation centre at Wynyard Park near Teesport.

The company's first customer for the centre is Asda. The CI Logistics storage and handling system, which occupies half of the new facility, has been designed to process up to three million Asda George garments per week. The fit out contract provides 43,000m of overhead monorail transportation, 4,000 overhead rail trolleys, 1500m of long distance trolley conveyors, ten full length goods on hangers (GOH) trolley boom conveyors, two tower conveyors, traversing extendable carton boom conveyors, pallet racking, pallet and carton live storage, a steam tunnel and bagging machines.

Both hanging and flat packed garments arrive by container and are unloaded with CI Logistics manufactured offloading booms. For the inbound area there are five semiautomatic GOH booms and two telescopic boom conveyors for cartons. Lighting on the end of the booms creates a safe working environment within the confines of the containers.

Hanging garments are placed onto the overhead monorail in sets on Tectrac trolleys. There are over 4,000 of these trolleys in the system. To save manual movement of empty trolleys between the inbound and outbound areas, a continuously moving conveyor for empty trolleys moves in a loop around the outside edge of the ground floor. Boxed goods are palletised and placed on gravity roller conveyors ready to be processed through the system.

Product enhancement takes place at packing benches where experienced pre-retail operators unpack boxes, check garments, price, add care labels and place on hangers.

In the processing area a manual slick rail system is used which is set at a lower height locally to make it easier to work with and overbag the garments. From the enhancement area the garments can be routed by conveyor to a five chamber steam tunnel and then onward to one of the automatic bagging machines, or directly to individual trolley transfer stations allowing the operators to unhook the garments from the slick rail system onto a trolley.

Once processed around 70% of the garments are cross docked on the ground floor and the remaining 30% are taken up to the mezzanine storage levels.
 
OTHER ARTICLES IN THIS SECTION
FEATURED SUPPLIERS
TWITTER FEED