Home >FTA calls for Government investment and understanding
FTA calls for Government investment and understanding
15 April 2015
The Freight Transport Association has said the logistics sector needs ‘better support from Government’ in order to make logistics more efficient in the UK.
The FTA Logistics Manifesto 2015 sets-out the priorities to deliver economic growth, improve safety and reduce pollution.
The Manifesto states that the logistics sector needs greater understanding by Government of the way it operates and that it must work with the industry in order to make it more efficient, improve safety and lower the environmental footprint.
Karen Dee – FTA Director of Policy said: "Logistics underpins every aspect of modern life. It is utterly indispensable to the working our home lives, our businesses, our schools and hospitals – everything. We can make logistics more efficient, but we need better support from the Government. This doesn’t need to come with a huge price tag, but it does need greater understanding of the way we really operate and how Government can work with us to achieve its own aims.”
FTA’s Logistics Manifesto Policy Top 10 are:
• Recognise the logistics sector’s essential status.
• Reduce fuel duty for commercial vehicles.
• Provide support for industry’s skills development programme.
• Invest in national transport infrastructure.
• Encourage and enable private sector investment in transport.
• Commit to a plan for increased hub aviation capacity and preserve current access to night flights.
• Ensure regulatory systems are fit for 21st century logistics.
• Partner with industry to develop a programme which addresses both the carbon and air quality challenges.
• Support the uptake of environment-friendly freight.
• Help towns and cities develop transport plans which deliver economically vibrant, safe and attractive places.
The FTA Manifesto has been sent to prospective parliamentary candidates for their consideration during the election campaign.