‘Just enough’ automation works for fast growing e-commerce firm
17 January 2017
Thrive Market, one of the nation's fastest-growing e-commerce companies, is a membership-based online platform focused on making healthy living easy and affordable for all.
The California-based startup turned to Swisslog, to design and implement a distribution centre (DC) to keep pace with its rapid growth.
The Solution: Constant fulfillment with just enough automation
Swisslog designed and implemented the Batesville DC that relies on advanced warehouse execution software (WES) to help workers quickly and accurately pick and pack orders. The DC design also can handle a wide variety of SKU volume and velocity. The highly flexible and scalable solution includes four split-case pick modules, cart picking from bin rack locations, cold-storage picking and pack-out stations.
“Swisslog worked closely with us to develop an appropriate level of automation that not only preserves our capital, but is also both flexible and scalable to meet our growth requirements for years into the future. Our plan is to replicate their design for the Western U.S. later this year,” says John Winkels, Vice President of Operations, Thrive Market
• State-of-the-art picking and packing processes.
• Productivity increase of 20 percent.
• Reduce shipment time from three days to no more than two in the Eastern United States.
• Simplified location replenishment while increasing location and item capacity.
• Warehouse Execution Software.
• Four split case pick modules.
• Cart picking from bin rack locations.
• Cold storage picking.
• Pack-out stations.